View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
If you have a side business or a very large family that requires major cargo capacity occasionally, it is usually much more cost effective to own an efficient car for most of your driving, and a second behemoth vehicle (an early-2000s minivan for example) for the rare hauling events.
I do own a pickup. It rides very nice, is loaded with amenities, and many people would daily drive it in a heartbeat. I refrain from ever driving it unless I have a task outside the capability of the car (or bicycle, etc.) because I really don't like feeding the beast. Additionally, I don't feel like I need to daily drive it to impress the opposite sex, or to prove my manhood, or to feel safe on the road, or to show off to the people at school or church or wherever.

It's paid off but there are more reasons to keep it. One is, my owning it keeps it out of the hands of those who would daily drive it (as a couple of people who inquired about buying it would have done. It's never been advertised for sale). Another is, even though it's a one-owner, well maintained vehicle, the resale value is **** so as long as I have legitimate use for it, the path of least resistance (cost, effort, convenience, capability, etc.) is to simply keep it.

Can the Tempo pull that trailer? Yes but mostly no. Can I get those big bags on or in the Tempo? Yes, but mostly no. Can I find alternatives for the pulling and hauling? Yes, but mostly, no.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 11-05-2012 at 12:15 AM..