View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #119 (permalink)
ttoyoda
Master EcoModder

Danger Will Robinson

Quote:
Yep, it vents back into the intake. Thats where the gray hose goes. There is another port on the top that runs over to the intake box. Before, thats where its been puking oil vapor and gunking up the throttle body. Now it will just gunk up the intake tract. Which I need to clean out somehow.
Do I understand correctly that you changed where the pcv hose is connected? If so I would advise against that. The pcv hose is located where it will have the most suction. The "muck" that is coming out is byproducts of combustion that are vapors when they are first created. These vapors must be sucked out before they condense.

IF the vapors are allowed to condense in the engine, they will in time form a surprisingly hard and tenacious sludge (like dirty furniture varnish really) on every interior surface of the engine. You might think this is an unimportant cosmetic issue, but not quite. The sludge will build up on the wire mesh screen that covers the oil pump oil pickup tube, which is submerged in the oil sump. The openings in the screen will get smaller and smaller, starving the engine for oil more and more.

Your oil pressure light will not light up in time to save you, it only indicates when pressure is not even enough to lubricate the engine at idle speed.

If you have the time and energy, and if it is an easy job, you might even consider removing the oil pan (on my cars an easy job with the engine in the car), cleaning it out inside, and inspecting and cleaning the screen for the oil suction tube.

To clean this muck off of PLASTIC or STEEL parts, when these parts are removed from the car, you can use inexpensive spray on oven cleaner, the kind with sodium or potassium hydroxide. Let it sit in the sun. Hose off. Repeat as needed. This also attacks all paint and some platings. Follow all the precautions, but especially wear goggles.
My *opinion* is that bases are much more dangerous for eyes than acids.

To clean the muck off of parts that are made of ALUMINIUM or STEEL, out of the car and removed from the engine, you can use the spray on paint remover that contains methelyne (spelling?) chloride.
With this method I put the part in a plastic bag after spraying, (otherwise the paint remover evaporates too soon) let sit in sun, rinse, etc.