View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #1346 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
But it makes perfect sense to me. It depends on the goal; If the goal is to use the fewest gallons possible, I probably wouldn't even bother with the "A-B-A" tests because the "paybeack time" for all the gas used in them is so long. I mean, half a dozen 10-mile round trips (after going out to my testing spot) to learn that folding my mirrors yields 0.1 mpg? If I fold my mirrors for the rest of my car's life, will it pay off? I suspect maybe not.

BUT - if the goal is to get the best mpg possible in this tank, then my "extra mileage" helps out in the "avoid short trips - do more longer trips" department. After all, it could be worse - I could just go out on a really long, "max mpg speed" trip with no stops ONLY to go as far as possible on that tank. At least I was taking care of a few errands in the process. :-)

(at least, that's what I'm gonna keep telling myself) LOL!!
You raise some interesting points, maybe. The "goal" (IMHO) is to reduce the overall gallons used compared to your normal behaviour. If by combining some other "errands" into a longer trip you managed a better overall average MPG then that is better. If you added those "errands" to increase your mileage and therefore gain a better average then it becomes debateable.

Testing mileage is interesting. I wonder if those who do A-B-A testing include that in their tanks and logs. If you do 20-30K miles a year then it doesn't affect your average, for me (at 6-8K a year) it does - maybe quite a bit.