View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #1347 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Well, I'm more of a "I wonder what the best mpg I can get out of my car" type of guy than an "I think I can save the planet by reducing my carbon footprint" type of guy.

I like the challenge to "maximize the performance of machines". It may seem contradictory, but in addition to trying to get the best gas mileage I can in my everyday driving, I have also taken on the challenge to see how fast I could get my 1971 Buick "boattail" Riviera to go. This involved rebuilding the "stock" 455 engine and enlarging it to 508 cubic inches. I got it to 182 mph at Bonneville Salt Falts, and even added some "aero mods" to it.

I also once tried to see how high I could get an experimental rocket powered by steam (4660 ft.).

So maybe I'll take up the challenge to see how much (how LITTLE) gas I can use in my everyday life, (espceially when I get the mother-in-law's Yamaha 50 cc scooter and start ecomodding it), but right now, to me, the fun is to see how much I can get on a tank. But you may persuade me yet - sometimes I'm a little "slow". And I can admit that the thought of seeing how "killer" an average I can get - tank after tank, month after month - does intrigue me a bit.