View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #53 (permalink)
darrylrobida
Honda modder

civruck - '88 Honda civic lx
How to handle the A/C issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
First: consider more active use of the a/c - shut it off on grades or other times when the added load would otherwise make a downshift necessary. Turn it back on when cruising or when you have to decelerate in gear (DFCO).

Second: going by the fuel gauge is a lousy way to estimate your current fuel economy. It's not accurate enough. You really need a digital MPG gauge - ScanGauge or equivalent if you want to know fuel consumption use in-between fill-ups.

Third: in my opinion, focusing on how to use the accelerator is not where you should be spending your efforts (at least in city driving). Get in the highest gear you can, then worry about the brake pedal - It's the enemy of good city MPG. You should be driving without brakes as much as possible, looking far ahead in traffic, planning & anticipating, and coasting as long as possible in neutral when approaching stops/turns (without impeding traffic!). Every time you hit the brakes, give yourself a dope slap.

Fourth: how realistic are your expectations? 25 mpg to 32 mpg is a pretty big improvement already. That's a 28% increase! And you're apparently beating your highway MPG rating now.

When you ask "How are you guys getting such awesome mpg?", which guys are you talking about?

The Civic owners getting extreme MPG are not using the A/C, they're definitely not cruising at 65 mph on the highway, and they're definitely not driving like Grandma ever did! They're using advanced techniques that may not be appropriate for you or your driving environment. 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com
I live in Maricopa, CA where it is damn HOT! This is how I have adapted:
Cut 500lbs of dead weight off of the vehicle, open the back up for more air flow and throw a wet towel around your neck. I routinely get a cool 40 MPG
while carrying loads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-photo reload to new hp laptop 9-12-2011 093.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	11704