View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #130 (permalink)
a8ksh4
B.O. Zen

Pickup - '99 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, Regular Cab, Short Bed
90 day: 34.62 mpg (US)
Small update this weekend...

Cleaned up the extender frame w/ the grinder and put some white enamel paint on it:

Had my first try at fiberglassing some of this foam! I made a couple of panels to go in the back quarters of the extender frame to hold the taillights. This was a mess... learned alot!

I mixed up a few oz of resin and attempted to just wrap up the pieces with glass and pin the cloth in place... didn't work well... I was going to use a small piece of laminating film to give a smooth texture on just the front of the piece, but I ended up needing the laminating film to keep the cloth from flopping all over.

Next time I'll use much bigger pieces of the laminating film and use it to hold the glass cloth in place until the resin sets up.

With a little filler, grinding, and paint, this might still work.

The epoxy resin, if left in a container for too long, heats up (steaming and everything) and turns solid way before the stuff that's spread into the glass. Have to make quick work of pouring it onto the part and squeegeeing it around. T

he stuff remains workable for a long time after it's in the glass, so the parts that won't hold when it's wet can be pulled tight after the stuff turns tackey.

The laminating film (from office depot - thanks skyking) seems to work great. The stuff I got was for self laminating w/o a heater, and comes with two sheets stuck together on a roll... you can cut off a length, pull the sheets apart, and then lay them over the part. Once the glass sets up, it's really easy to peal the laminating film off again.