View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
HypermilerAX
EcoModding Apprentice

AX - '95 Citröen AX

307 - '04 Peugeot 307 SW
I fully sympathize with your feelings. I, and probably a lot of other members here, know how oppressing it is to be tailgated.
It is true that I'm sometimes driving well under the limits (70 km/h for 90 limit) but it's not a reason to tailgate dangerously close.
My reaction will depend on my current mood and whether he could overtake or not :
1) I do nothing. I (try to, and it's not easy) ignore him and keep my speed.
2) I go on the far right of the road, to make him understand he can/should pass.
3) Same but I act as I would turn or search something.
4) I reduce my speed, not necessarily by braking aggressively, even more.
5) My favourite. As I seldomly drive above 2500 rpm, carbon builds up a bit in the engine and exhaust line (I have an old diesel). And I usually keep my decarbonation sessions for the tailgaters. I put the neutral gear and press the throttle fully to 5000 rpm (if my engine is warm of course). A huge black smoke comes out of my exhaust line and it works, tailgaters most often take their distances. I can guarantee they wouldn't want to breathe that a second time in their life.

Also very annoying, are the lights when being tailgated at night. I always have some sunglasses in the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to HypermilerAX For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (10-24-2012)