View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
99% of the time there is no one in front, everyone goes 60-65... including the semis (i pull off the road for them, they are a bit aggressive too). I was part of the thread above . yea I don't want to do something stupid to end up finding out they have a gun or something crazy like that.

For the passing stuff, on this road I use cruise control which keeps a very steady speed for me. I have tried to play around with my speed on this road, 55mph = no one passes, just rides behind, 45mph (my first eco modding speeds) - people go completely crazy and about kill their selves in head-ons almost every day, then happy in the middle, 50mph most people pass, and don't make such risky moves and such.

I have been wanting a camera for a while, a good security system would work great on an inverter if I can find one that uses little power, they hold months worth of video and support multi cams, some upto 16. Another option could be IP cameras which would require a computer network (router), each camera, and a laptop/tiny pc to record it. Total system usage would be like 50w if done right and I could put in any size of drive to record on.

The idea behind this type of system instead of a normal camera like a cellphone or whatever are...

#1 - better video quality, some can do 1080p lol
#2 - pretty cheap parts, probably could get the system running for around $120-150
#3 - It would be setup to record when the key is on (or a switch), so set it and forget it

I don't mind the cost since if I do end up in a wreck.... no one can fight video proof! Only down side is the fact laptop drives have spinning parts, the SSD (no moving parts) cost a bit more, but I shouldn't need much of a drive to support a month of diving at the best quality possible. Another plus to the computer in the car is the fact you can play mp3s off it though the sound system... yes I use my radio..

I guess the ecomodder way would be to get a deep cycle battery and charge the camera system from the grid.

Btw, i'm a computer tech they plays around with electroncis, engines, etc, none of this stuff is new to me besides the fact I never had it in a car.