View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
RiderofBikes
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
If people knew the real world mileage of new cars and what little savings they'd have vs. maintaining/modding their paid-for old car, they would not buy such new cars. Fr'ex, paying ~$10K extra for the latest fuel efficient car might take hundreds of thousands of miles driving to save enough on fuel just to amortize the extra cost, including interest, maintenance, depreciation, etc..

"IF"... I'd say your right, and after 1 yr 5 months later from buying my Fiesta straight from the lot. I'm still kicking my butt. Shoulda, bought something cheaper IF I took a little more time to look and research(pre ecomodder). Coulda fixed my car within a paycheck at the time(blown headgasket, found engine for $300 on CL), BUT already spending $3,500 in repairs in the 1st yr of ownership(used car) and have to throw more money at it!!? Woulda, bought something used again if it weren't for that damn StressTank i had before... So, basically that was in total $6k spent on a used car in one year, and it only got like 27mpg at best, so fuel wouldv'e equaled out overall 30,000mi/yr to the cost of a new car.. Insurance was more too!!

35,800mi later, im satisfied with my purchase. I have'nt needed to do 1 thing to it other than change oil and put gas in it. Plus i don't plan on getting rid of it for the next, 10yrs AT LEAST! so after 5yr more of payments, intrest, insu. I will be THAT much more satisfied about the choice i made.

Obviously, not everyone is as bad a situation like i was... BUT im keen to buying a cheapo civic still, since me and my fiance need a 2nd car. Modding it will will be Hellava trip, anything goes!!!!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.