View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
js335
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I lived there for 5 years right off the the new and improved King street, moved out to NM in the first part of 2011.
When I was living in hampton I never thought I would want/need a turbo on my diesel. Loosing 10% of the avaible air mass will change your mind real fast.
Im not too far from there, other side of the water, I always want to put a turbo on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Adding a turbocharger is not going to help FE unless you [at least] change final drive ratio, transmission shift points & lock up strategy, etc. - all things that be beneficial without a turbo anyway. Like already mentioned, a turbo only helps FE when the engine is downsized.
We shall see, I read otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Why not do something ridiculous: disable half your engine (remove one bank's pistons and valve train), as this has been proven to increase FE, and turbocharge your remaining 1.9L 3-cylinder to gain some of the power back.
because that does sound ridiculous. and complicated to make work right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
to split hairs: you can.....

but only if your PCM is capable of doing so.
you are correct, this van is a 99, single bank o2 sensor fuel control for V6/V8 engines went away in the early 90's with OBD1, this OB2 engine is more than capable of making individual bank fuel trim adjustments.

Even so, I've turbocharged many cars before, and the issues you guys are talking about would certainly come into play at high boost/power situations, but not this.