View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Phantom
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I cannot go much lower in the back since the back curves in more than the front. In the picture above the front edge has about an inch between the skirt and the wheel the back on the other hand only has about a pinky width of extra space.

I drove the car for 3 days with it installed about 400mi with speeds upto 80mph. One thing that I would notice is I would have to retape the back corner after each 90mi trip to work as the air pushed the cardboard out at that corner and the tape would not stick to the card board.

I might think of spacing the back edge out a little leaving a 1/4inch gap to vent the pressure to the back of the car. This option I'm not sure about but I can always add that after the fact to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If I'm not mistaken, your Golf has a tricky wheel well "lip" for figuring out an attachment method. (A flat surface, with no 90 degree bend toward the car's centerline like most other cars.) It'll be interesting to see how you work with that.
That is correct and the screws that hold the wheel liner are at the very bottom or are about 3in in from the edge. I think the easiest way to get it to mount will be to cut a few slits in about half an inch from the edge coat a magnet in some glue and shove the magnet into the slit. That way I will have a magnetic attachment method, making it easy to install and remove. I just need to make sure the body is magnetic and figure out how strong/many I will need currently I have 9 magnets that hold 3lbs and I will test with that soon to see how they hold.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG