View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostalot717 View Post
dave heres my opinion on fans. The clutch fan (what my truck has), spins constantley even though the clutch is not engaged. My thought is just as any racer remove rotating weight from the engine to free up hp and tq. obv this helps with fuel economy when approaching grades. What i do know for fact is that switching to a electric fan and a simple 87 octane tune is a solid +2mpg on my platform, given the same application of the right foot.

Many hear bad results from electric fans because most think the bigger the better. Thats when someone ends up putting a giant pair of 3500 cfm fans on their vehicle pulling around 25-35 amps. A small electric fan and more importantly a PROPER fan shroud go a long way.

That being said i see your driving a 6-speed cummins, i would never consider taking the fan clutch of of mine. The drag from the fan is very minimal considering the very high tq low in the rpms.
I think there are different types of fan clutches. Mine is electronically controlled. I've checked and, from a cold start, it runs for less than 1 minute and then turns off completely. Mine never comes on. It's seriously been over a year since it's been on while I'm running. I looked into electric fans for mine, and I figured if it's not running, it's not costing me and FE. Of course a lot of that comes from how efficiently (cool) my diesel runs.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html