View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
jime57
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Thanks for doing that test. Another collection of data for the pile doesn't hurt.
Yes, that is very true and useful in itself. But we modders always hope we have found something

I think that if the test were against a different wheel on a different car, then the Moons might show improvements. It's just that on an Insight they seem to be a wash.

I still plan to do some tuft comparrisons when I can get my setup together and get the time and conditions. I'd be interesting if there is any reaction of the tufts.

The Moons look neat, so I'll probably keep them - since I don't seem to be paying a measurable penalty.

There is another issue which might actually be more important to us in the ecomodding community. High speed coast down tests seem to be so full of pitfalls that they may be unreliable in general. Hucho mentions one of the famous aerodynamists who got false results - forget which one. A thorough, honest, and well controlled A-B-A test is going to take 2-3 hours to conduct on any reasonable course with turn arounds, acceleration zones, stabalization zones, etc. During that time, there is a very high porobability that some of the environmental conditions will change, thereby "swamping" the small changes we are trying to gather. I think I learned my lesson.