View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
HydroJim
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Custom Car Brainstorming

Since I'm pretty much done modifying the aerofocus, I'm ready to move on to the next thing. Something I've always wanted to do is make my own car. I spent a while deciding on front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive, mid engine vs front engine, and 4 wheel vs 3 wheel.

My current plants are:
to build a mid-engine RWD drive 4 wheeled car with a narrower rear wheel track. I plan on using a geo metro 3 cylinder mated to a 5 speed. The reason for the mid engine is to be able to build an optimal front end and rear wheel drive because if the engine is back there, might as wheel put the power back there.

The purpose of the build is to create the most fuel efficient car I can and learn a lot about building a car! My dad was a mechanic for most of his life, so I'm confident we can handle everything. This will be done on a relatively inexpensive budget(aka reusing things) but it won't be cheap or ghetto either.

I am still up for input on many things, so here is a list of things to stimulate some brainstorming

3 wheel vs 4 wheel?
gas vs diesel?
turbo vs non-turbo?
OBD 2(post 96) vs not OBD 1 or whatever(pre 96)
It looks like I'll need airbags here in Ohio, although I haven't confirmed that. so that adds a slight challange. I may use the passenger compartment(A-pillar to B pillar) from the donor metro so I can have airbags, but I'll be gutting everything else out.

Ideas I've thought about but thrown out:
3 wheeled powered by a motorcycle engine. I'm not too keen on the idea of using a motorcycle engine/transmission to move something 2-3 times the weight it was designed for and I like the idea of having 4 wheels on the ground during winter.

4 wheeled with even track front and back
I've decided on the narrower rear track because it allows me to taper the whole car in earlier which reduces drag and will help my highway MPG.

My current "blueprints":

Take note of my rear exhausted radiator. the air inlet slots on the side of the car will be able to open and close when needed and the vacuum behind the car should help pull air through the system. Let me know if this is a bad idea, but I think it's a pretty good one.

Here is a link to a website showing what I'll basically be doing: Dad's Dune Buggy. Mine will have a body around the frame and be road legal. It looks like he re-used the front suspension in the rear. If so, that seems like a real good idea to save time and money and be sure of the safety aspect.

I plan on going all out with the drivetrain modifications and the aerodynamics so hopefully I can reach 100 mpg while cruising at 60 mph. That may be a lofty goal, but I always figure it's good to aim really high

Again, let me know what you guys think about the build. I'm hoping to start construction this summer, but finances will be the main constraint.

By the way, it would be cool if you guys could make some of those fancy renderings that you always make so we can get a better visual than my sketches.