View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
2nd dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
thanks for the feedback... I looked at the front end and there is room for improvement. The bumper has about a .5-.75" gap that is open and probably causing a problem. I noticed that around the headlights there is a seal that preents air from getting past it. I would take that as an example on what to do with the bumper. I believe should be able to push the bumper up a bit to close off that gap. Looking at other rams I think mine is a bit lower than what it should be. I had the bumper of years back for a tow hook install.

so you think the 2nd air dam is a waste? I also looked at the possibility of the smaller deflectors off the frame and that should be do-able...
If you had the front airdam done,and the rocker panel bottoms matched that of the airdam,you'd be dragging an inverted pool of dead air around under the truck,with energetic flow down beneath it.
The 2nd dam would be entrained within the dead air mass and not really in a position to to affect the flow.In a crosswind,the air would 'see' the outside edges of the second dam,and unless it had generous outer edge radii,it could trigger flow separation which otherwise would not exist,aggravating the wake.
If it were me,I'd be looking at a belly pan.Trucks have the worst under bodies and respond the best to paneling.