View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbeast View Post
The ECM would have a base formula of some kind to know when the egr is opened, how much recirculated gas to expect. It can't correct on its own, the egr gas is released post maf sensor. If someone could expand on what I think I know that might be helpful though... Perhaps the 02 sensor plays a role.
The O2 sensor will keep the AFR steady as it always does.

Quote:
If I'm theorizing right, simply adding a cooler would increase the volume of recirculated exhaust gas. Since the gas is cooled and not heated It would lean out the mixture slightly, but then again the gas is cooled I don't think it would increase risk of detonation.
Increasing EGR flow doesn't lean anything because all you're adding is inert gas, not oxygen. Dillute is a more applicable word I suppose.

Quote:
I can see it having emissions benefits, lowering the combustion temperature could be good for engine durability but then it would take a little longer to reach peak operating temperature... all negligible. To get the MPG benefits I was going for you would have to increase the volume of gas more significantly than just an egr cooler, like a bigger egr valve and a control unit to tell it to open it more and then trick the ecm to tell the car to lean it out even further. Or maybe release the exhaust gas pre-MAF? It would get fouled up pretty quick, maybe even add an in line filter in there like off of a snorkeled jeep type deal.
As more EGR is added you can also optimize ignition timing which will increase efficiency.

WesternStarSCR (10-30-2012)