View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I have some photos from my original trip (at bad angles) I will post here hopefully later today, I won't get new ones until I make the long trek back to wausau this weekend sometime.

Due to the issues and the lack of easy DC DC rewiring I figure a couple of my deepcycles in the tub will solve this my main issue well enough, also a good amorphous solar panel would probably be on order, too bad they are usually 4 watts or less for the dash, my kaneka gsa60 no doubt won't fit

My other thought was to somehow directly tap the 3 phase and build a 3 phase capacitor battery charger from motor run caps. These are actually very efficient but I would need to find some that handle up to 100hz and I would need to size a bit smaller than I really need and have a contactor cutoff. I am guessing 25amps at 2500rpms (would allow for moderate headlight use and a recharge after start) would be my goal, at 5k this would result in 100amps which would likely fry the caps so I would need a cutoff.

I was thinking an antique generator regulator like you find on old pickups could tame this down a bit and I already have Lead Acid BMS modules for 12v agm which would also tame it a bit.

Cheers
Ryan