View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #83 (permalink)
ev99saturn
EcoModding Lurker

Snake Oil - '10 Factory Five Racing Mk4
90 day: 77 mpg (US)
Miz, I keep looking for other reasons for the poor wh/mi, although I'm comfortable that aero and over-the-top-terrible rolling resistance drag radials are certainly contributors.

The car is a new build with very few miles so far, and I'm wondering how long it takes for the brake pads to break-in.... i.e. might they be dragging more than they will after, say, a thousand miles or more?

With brakes in mind, I did a test with the car on jack stands. I brought the motor up to 2,000 RPM then timed the spin-down to stop. After 5 times to average the tests, I removed the rear calipers and re-ran the spin-down test.

It took about 10 seconds with the brakes removed, versus about 7-8 seconds with the brakes installed. This seems like a marginal difference, but could still be significant.

The other question it raises is: is a 10 second spin-down from 2,000 motor rpm reasonable? i.e. should it take longer, suggesting resistance somewhere in the drivetrain?

Your 1930 Model A sounds like an awesome EV build! It's lower wh/mi gives me hope that I can get the Cobra into reasonable territory!!

Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizlplix View Post
Greetings. I have a 1930 Model A Ford speedster EV, which is about as "Brick" as it gets, but I still get 256WH/Mile.

If you are getting that horrible of a WH/Mile, I would look else where than Aero, you have something else going on....

The last Cobra I drove would do 210 MPH with the windshield removed and a bored/stroked 412Cu. In. small block engine.

Miz