View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
DirtyTorquer
EcoModding Lurker

euromodder - I am not a pure hypermiler in driving style but I do drive economically. I usually sit with cruise control at 60mph instead of 70mph, I anticipate other drivers actions and think ahead for passing, coast to stops when I can, already thrown out any un-needed weight (well aware of power to weight and rotational mass as my race car has had a huge dose of that done to it), yadda yadda. I do know how to really drive in a super economy mode if I wanted to...but as say I am not a pure hypermiler. So far with how I drive (as have said sometimes spirited) being up on the book quote of 47.9 UK MPG is quite good...plus I remapped the car for maximum performance...and did gain MPG improvement. With now doing 15,000 miles a year just for work alone (and having done 36,000 miles in the last year), the cost of things I plan to do to the car will easily pay back with the cost of fuel rising like mad. Then again I am not too bothered of the cost of payback as it is just something I want to do as getting more and more into aerodynamics and the benefits...actually to be honest, this has all kicked off with us racing in a new championship of which we are not limited to what we can do to the cars aerodynamically. Course that is about more downforce with minimum drag penalty...but minimum drag is an all round winner off the track. So if I can do worthwhile bits to my road car that show improvements in MPG based on drag reduction...then they will be getting done for the track. Pretty much road driving testing grounds with bonus of increased FE. Not sure if any of that makes sense from my twisted mind?