View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
I am trying to imagine being stuck in traffic around Toronto with every car being a 2005 diesel Jetta It would smell pretty bad, but probably more people would use public transport because of it.
I do agree that way less fuel would be used, especially in traffic jams as a diesel jetta beats nearly everything but a hybrid in city MPG and highway MPG. If we could get them to the emmisions level of gas cars then I would be all for it.
Quote:
The health effect of biodiesel exhaust emissions are unknown.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007..._research.html
Is working over a deep fryer a health and safety risk? Biodiesel is usually cut with 1% "real" diesel because that makes it toxic enough to prevent mould or other biological problems. I would bet on biodiesel emmisions being better.

Quote:
You can extract much more gasoline than diesel fuel from a barrel of oil.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/im...rel_of_oil.gif
One of the comments in the first link I quoted was that portions of that barrel that could be more easily made into diesel are cracked into gasoline because of the demand for gasoline.

Anyways, I think the long term solution is to have vehicles that use 1/4 as much fuel and then you can run your diesel on straight veggie oil or run on electricity from your solar panel array or whatever without creating as much pollution and greenhouse gases. GM should just mass produce something like the Aptera, save their own company and the envrironment all at once. If they can afford to lose the billions they are now, why not add 1 billion more and develop and produce something like that. I'd have to think the engineers at GM with a billion dollars could create something that would out perform the Aptera and cost half as much... They have the dealer network that is screaming for somehting they can sell and willing to try anything at this point.
I guess it would make to much sense, and besides the Aptera looks "funny".
Ian

Last edited by IndyIan; 06-11-2008 at 12:12 PM..