View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #116 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
CapriRacer, I agree with your conclusions with regard to load. Indeed, I made the same type of statements in a thread I started trying to collect data on overinflation vs MPG.

The name of the sight is ECOMODDER. To me that means some here are willing to make modifications in the pursuit of higher MPG with the understanding that there may be a trade-off in function or aesthetics. Some remove seats, carpets, etc to save weight. Others give up opening trunks/hatches in the name of aerodynamics. It's no different than what I see at the dragstrip: street driven cars with fat tires in the back and skinny ones up front. They give up certain abilities to gain others elsewhere. It's all part of a balance we choose to make vs original design. I could easily see someone on this site choosing to try a different wheel/tire combo purely in the name of more MPG, and willing to give up things like load factors in the bargain. My favorite thread being about a member who wanted to cut his car in half lengthwise.

You just have to let your perspective adjust a little when you're here.

Cheers!