View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Andyman
amateur mech. engineer

Sporty Accord - '88 Honda Accord LX-i
90 day: 23.25 mpg (US)

Dad's Camry - '01 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 22.81 mpg (US)

Artie's Camry - '98 Toyota Camry
90 day: 37.3 mpg (US)
I think the ideal application for a powered trailer is a sports car with a big engine. The trailer could have some kind of power that is more efficient for low power use such as an electric motor, a small gasoline or diesel engine, a hydraulic accumulator, compressed air engine or a flywheel. I think the hydraulic accumulator might be the best solution. It wouldn't use any power when stopped and it could easily be recharged by turning on the car's engine and driving while setting the trailer to pump oil back into the high pressure tank. It could also recover energy while braking. For even better efficiency, it might be good to use a small engine on the trailer to keep the accumulator charged up. The extra engine could shut off when the accumulator was full. One possible complication is that adding an engine might be considered tampering with the emission control system. It might also be possible to use a collapsible windmill to recharge the accumulator or batteries when the vehicle is parked. The trailer could also have some extra room for luggage to add to the skimpy luggage space in sports cars.

This system would save lots of fuel when driving slowly in heavy traffic if the car's engine could be shut off. It might be necessary to add some way of charging the battery, keeping vacuum in the power brake booster, pumping steering fluid for power steering and pumping transmission fluid in an automatic transmission to protect the bearings.

Here are a couple of articles about using hydraulic accumulators in cars.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...s-Mileage.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...-Gasoline.aspx

I also like the idea of using a solar and battery powered trailer with a bicycle.