View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #1376 (permalink)
ferventheat
EcoModding Lurker

honda signsight - '98 Honda foresight SE
90 day: 83.74 mpg (US)

lil' black car - '04 renault clio 65hp extreme
90 day: 65.04 mpg (US)
Smile hand power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
Good one. I'm always thinking in terms of getting all errands done in one shot, and then planning the most efficient route.

YKYAEM when you have actually wondered if there would be a way to convert human energy (lifting, pulling, pushing etc.) into stored energy for your vehicle...AND the idea doesn't entirely bother you much.

--I've got this little emergency radio for power outages. It has a knob that can be spun - very similar to the reel on a fishing rod - that creates energy to power the radio. It made me wonder if a similar device could be added to a car to reduce the load on an engine. Even if it only added a few HP, it could cover A/C or simply assist the engine.

Hehe, imagine getting in your car and the first thing you do before turning the key is turn this reel-like contraption a few times.
I expect its been covered in the forum, but didn't ALL cars and vehicles used to be part human powered- HAND CRANK STARTING?
Would love to see a comeback... that would but out all the hassle of disconnecting your alternator and adding solar...

YKYAEM when you engine cut at the traffic lights and can't start again as you left the bike lights on too long,and have to push the m.bike home, worrying/laughing that its going to affect your mpg! Silly me :-D
YKYAEM when you can smell burnt coroplast from your exhaust system
YKYAEM When you can get a similar tank figure to a small car from your motorbike
YKYAEM when cops pull you over because they are interested in your vehicle and not for bad reasons..