View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
DirtyTorquer
EcoModding Lurker

Euromodder - i wouldnt say i do hypermiler tricks just drive sensibly at times. Dropping un needed weight out a car is from the racing background...power to weight. Parking to drive straight off with a cold engine is getting into the hypermiling tricks as opposed to just driving sensibly economical.

Trust me i do know that a refined and tuned engine will perform better on both the MPG and Performance front...but one refined for outright FE of course nets better MPG gains...and one pushed up the ladder for performance does not know the meaning of FE anymore. I did my diesel for maximum safe power...while i have gained more MPG when i drive nicely, i know many others that have pushed more and therefore suffer still even when sensible driving takes place ( muppets going too aggressive with the ecu map though). To me the term more oomph from a gallon is more power not better FE...making a gallon last longer is the opposite. If one really wanted, they could tune the engine to sacrifice its top end power so that it performs better low down and mid range. Since one would not be bothered of going remotely quick at all (speeding), they could end up with a slower top speed yet more bottom end offering even better FE cruising. Actually ive not looked through the forum yet to see if anyone has been tuning the engines for this.

Glad that im not the only twisted minded person here...but some of the inventive things some have done on here shows me twisted thinking in the right way...at times.