View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
nbleak21
Adventurist!

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Increasing displacement = Increasing MPG? (Theory)

Ok, I know this sounds kind of counter-intuitive, but I wanted to get some of your expert thoughts and opinions on this.

Preface:
Currently my Acura has the F22b1 engine in it: 2156cc
I received a newer F23b1 engine for literally pennies (traded an old, worthless to me cell phone for it.)

The engine was running when pulled, but replaced with an H22 (DOHC JDM motor) in someone's 98 accord. I've pulled the head, had it cleaned, pressure tested, and milled true, and am planning on boring the cyl walls out from the factory 2256cc to 2306cc (+1mm bore) using aftermarket K24 pistons from a honda CRV to keep the CR the same.

Initially I was building this to be used as a turbo build, and may still take that route, as these blocks/factory internals have been proven to handle a bit of boost...

As for the Theory in question:

I've noticed that with my IM, I have less vacuum losses at 3100 rpms (TPS avg. 14-15%) where as 2800rpms TPS sits at 17-18%

So my theory is that by increasing the engine CC, the VE will be approx the same at 2800rpm in the rebuilt block, as it would be at 3100 now.

The difference in avg cruise mpg is 29 (2800rpms or 76mph) vs 26mpg (3100rpms or 82mph)

In theory I'm looking at a 7% increase in displacement resulting in a 12% (relative) decrease in TPS.

I understand that MAP and o2 readings will be different because of this, and I also don't know the TPS fuel curve adjustment at given percentages either, but I figure the majority of this can be modified via my V-AFC that I run on the ecu anyways.

Just some food for thought, would love to hear your guys' input.

(as an aside: rotating mass of the engine will also be reduced over present engine, as I plan on deleting the balance shaft assemblies, shaving off 9-10lbs, and the K24 pistons are approx the same weight as the OE F23 pistons)