View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It takes energy just to run the inverter, so running a few watt load like an LED bulb off of it is not practical because the inverter is going to have a base load, but the higher the load the more cooling it is going to need and the less efficient some of the electronics are going to operate at, that inverter is made by Xantrax (bought up Trace a few years back) so they might have specs online some place to tell you how efficient it is at different loads or for different amounts of time.

I have use of a heavier duty inverter that is designed for powering a cabin who's rated output is around 3,500 watts and I think the main difference is that it's designed for a sustained 3,500 watt load so it has better heat sinks, better fans and is more sensitive along with being programmable, a lot of these inverters are also designed to not switch on until they detect a load of a set amount, so don't be surprised if you plug something like a cell phone charger in and nothing happens, I think the one I have can be adjusted to come on with a 5-20 watt base load.
My plan is to build a back up power supply that is built like a small hand cart so it can be wheeled around to where you need power or if the power goes out at home I can plug the fridge or freezer in and power them for about 2 days off the battery pack that I have for my electric push lawn mower.