View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
ChadB
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '94 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
90 day: 19.99 mpg (US)
Sven,
I've seen the thread on that truck. It's nice work. I'd have to put a window in for rear view visibility.

Freebeard
As far as firewood costs go, I'm hauling wood I get for free and I'm guessing I spend around $10 - 12 round trip on gas to get it. Other than the trip I sat in traffic, I've not seen a huge affect on gas mileage from the weight of the firewood. I spent $2,000 one year heating with propane. I have burned wood ever since and I will never go back (unless I get to the point where I'm physically incapable of processing firewood myself and for some reason the cost of ready to burn wood becomes greater than other fuels). Even at lower efficiencies than propane, electric, etc. I save a lot of money.

As for the lifting I guess I'm silly enough that I usually lift it over the side of the bed instead of climbing up (not really a reach for me at 6'4" anyway). a full cover would be more difficult unless the entire thing hinged up, because my box slides out the back and then I can climb in and stack that way if needed. I can move the box by myself. When unloading however I do like to stand in the truck and throw/roll it out. Which brings me back to an aerocap that would have to lift up high enough for a 6'4" person to stand under.

I'll probably just mock something up and run the extension as far back as I can, at a slight angle until it starts to affect visibility and end it there. At this point whatever I do may have to wait until spring anyway.

My ultimate goal is a small single axle trailer with an aerocap to pull behind the truck. If I ever get the money together for that I will revisit the idea of a full aerocap on the truck.