View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
AcidTonic
EcoModding Lurker

I have the same car and I will soon get around to tuning mine in the same fashion.

I previously had an 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX 5 spd and self tuned it to about 320awhp from a turbocharged 2.0 Inline 4 with full-time AWD and limited slip differentials. Was able to hit some impressive highway mpg figures

Now I've upgraded to a 2012 Lancer Evolution X GSR 5spd. This model has a limited slip front differential, electronic center differential, and an active yaw control torque biasing rear differential. These can all be remapped for 3 different modes. I plan to hijack the snow mode for a hypermiling mode that releases all the clutches resulting in open differentials for the middle and rear. Disable ASC, as well to prevent any braking forces on cornering.

This car has dual intake and exhaust variable cam timing. Intake side can be advanced to 33 degrees and the Exhaust side can be retarded to -25 degrees.

Wastegate spring holds 14psi I believe (my old car held 12psi) and the boost control system uses a bleeder solenoid to hide boost from the actuator above 14psi so it can boost 21psi stock when the Ecu chooses.

Basically that means I could retune the system to drop all boost resulting in 14psi max. Then I could adjust the intake and exhaust cam timing to maximize VE for the lower rpm and load range. Then see how much timing I can get away with at part throttle cruise. With the two active differentials in an open state as well, I think I can best the stock highway average of 27mpg I'm seeing from hypermiling. Don't laugh since I can average 15mpg just having fun and 8mpg tracking it.... so 27 is fantastic!

My goal is to get 30mpg highway from sustained 5th gear cruising at 65mph. My current best is about 27mpg by being very careful to lift the throttle whenever I can to minimize load as the hills change. Not bad for a 17 city 23 highway rated performance vehicle that gets to 60mph in under 5 seconds!

I'll come back and report what I'm getting.... I figured better to post here since the OP left you hungry!