View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
...The trailer could have some kind of power that is more efficient for low power use such as an electric motor, a small gasoline or diesel engine, a hydraulic accumulator, compressed air engine or a flywheel.
This system would save lots of fuel when driving slowly in heavy traffic if the car's engine could be shut off....
I can see that it would have the greatest advantage in town, but why not optimize it for cruising on the highway?
OK. Let me try and put a finer point on the concept I have rolling around in this melon o' mine.
Mr. X gets into his Duramax-powered, gas guzzling PU truck and hitches up his humongous horse trailer. He plans to tow this puppy a couple hundred miles, maybe over a thousand. He enters the anticipated mileage into the (user friendly) 'black box' mounted in his PU truck's cab. This computer interface then calculates the optimum way to run the trailer's auxiliary drive unit. As Mr. X tows his trailer down the highway, the auxilliary drive unit powers the trailer and makes it seem as the trailer is not even there, as far as the load the tow vehicle experiences. Maybe on shorter trips the trailer could even push the tow vehicle a bit.
Try not to think in terms of what you or I are capable of as DIY's. There are engineering firms capable of ironing out the details. I know, 'cause I work for one.
On a CONCEPTUAL level, what are the issues to answer? Here's one;

Quote:
Originally Posted by steensn View Post
...In the end, aren't you just adding a ton of more weight and in-stability to try and garner minimal payback....
That's the million dollar question. Is it worth it?