View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne171 View Post
You may have been better served to check out the cost of a new battery before you judged the value of an Insight with a new battery. Best case scenario you will pay $2000 for a new battery. Also, the aluminum frame will never rust. The drivetrain routinely makes 250,000 miles without breaking a sweat (other than the battery), as the IMA system takes stress off the drivetrain. Brakes have been known to last the life of the car, depending on driving style. Not including the battery, the Insight is very reliable, even by Honda standards. And that one had a new battery. If you are spending $400 a month on gas at 37 mpg, you could save $170 per month on gas at the 64 mpg I average. That would cover the car payment on $7000. So it would basically be like getting the car for free. THAT is why the prices are what they are.
??? a variety of your assumpts are wrong in my case

1. Battery will likely never be replaced by new

2. Aluminum frame does not rust but other things like the brakes can

3. Aluminum frame although it doesn't rust is a pain to fix.

I don't disagree the car is reliable but a 10 year old car is a 10 year old car, I should not pay new prices for used, hence why I bought what I did at the price point I did, even with a 2k battery I am still ahead.

Cheers