View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Continued Update

My next day off will see me collecting a number of items for the truck which should have arrived at my mailbox. First among them is a new set of "Towing Mirrors". The "head" is considerably larger with slide-out versus flip-up positioning for towing.

First, a pic of the OEM Towing Mirrors (which are to be replaced):

And the replacement CIPA

The OEM towing mirrors are great when solo. And, I don't think too terrible at mpg (versus -- in the words of BigDave -- the human-infant sized FORD & CHEVY pieces. Or, baby-on-a-stick, ha!). Up, however, the DODGE pieces are probably not so "aero" . . . but the real problem is FOV (field-of-view).

One needs, at all times, to have the trailer rear bumper in view and then beyond. My rig has been at 63' of the state maximum 65' limit. So a rearview mirror which is tall can be adjusted to take in the entire side view of the TT with some adjustment for distance (one is always concerned about turns: potholes, ditches and other obstacles as the two vehicles do not track each other in turns, not even in highway curves). The OEM pieces are fine for keeping the TT in the lane or out of the bar ditch.

But not so much for relative points of comparison. They're narrow, and the FOV at a distance is diminished. Wider is wanted to know what is happening waaay back there. (Remember that one does not have an interior rear view mirror which otherwise serves this function . . the opposing sides of the trailer may as well be in different states).

I'm sorry to say that the majority of towed RV's one sees are handicapped by vehicles with poor mirrors (yes, the law addresses this, but not enough citations to raise awareness), and even more by drivers not accustomed to using them (include yourself, to be fair). Worst are the ones with stock mirrors -- who, because they can sorta see the ends of the trailer -- are actually blind to what is behind and around them. Check the mirrors that they have as you are behind/next to them, please. If you can't see them in their mirrors, they can't see you. Some won't ever see you just due to the component. (And as our economy continues it's inexorable retraction, expect that your fellow citizens will hang onto their upside-down mortgaged house until too late . . and mirrors on an overloaded trailer-towing family vehicle -- the Joads -- won't be addressed when there is no money for such. Be prudent about this already -present future as you roll the highways . . and I needn't mention hurricane evacuations, etc).

In for watching other traffic, especially in metro areas with several lanes and the usual brain-dead, jesus-phone-texting 'muricans barely cognizant of what is around them -- or, ahead of them -- there is, out there, the sad idea that being behind a big truck (or RV) is slow . . and that the solution is to get ahead of it (same lane). That this is dangerous never enters pea-sized brains. I see it daily in big trucks. (This includes drafting and less than four seconds of separation, EM'ers).

Thus a wider FOV, rearwards, yes. But the addition of a properly-sized convex spot mirror adds this (given only as example, ignore numbers):

The small convex mirrors trade depth for range. And the smaller that spot mirror, the worse it is.

When one is piloting a combination rig, the need to know not only what is behind one (as that is often the future) but what is next to one -- or what is about to be next to one -- is critical for best defensive driving. One may need to change lanes for any of a variety of reasons (choosing the path of least traffic resistance high among them).

FE while towing is about the least amount of driver input to maintain lane-centeredness under all circumstances. Predicting the future is part of that. Most RV accidents are written up to driver error. And the error is "loss-of-control" (doesn't matter who's at fault, either). Knowing what is around one (disciplined scanning) is basic: Smooth, error-free, no-wasted-motion driving is at the center of towing FE (subsequent to safest practice).

So I'll be experimenting with 5" or 8" convex spot mirrors on sliding mounts on those two arms. I've no idea past wood blocks carved to accommodate this plan thus far. And, looks like my FE will take a hit, but other changes are in store to help offset this.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-07-2012 at 09:56 AM..