View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_s10 View Post
I have always wanted a Smart Roadster. It would be a perfect daily driver...
Agreed but the engines are a little, er, carp - rapid wear and no benefit in terms of FE, life or powah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderofBikes View Post
1974 Mini Cooper 1.3s

Usable lighting/active grill block? Cause why else would you need a 1/2 ton car, tiny engine front wheel drive that was banned from rally? oh wait, thats a great reason! Who needs a "Smart" these days?
1974 ? Jeebus man the Cooper S was gone by then to be replaced by the delightful Clubman 1275GT - apparently BL didn't like paying Mr Cooper a royalty on each car with the badge.

orx777f

was on the 1968 Monte - 5th overall I think - tail end of the Cooper revolution. The Coopers were banned from the 1966 rally for "having iodine vapour, single filament bulbs in their standard headlamps instead of double-filament dipping bulbs" according to Wikipedia - I only know it was the lights.

As for a grill block that could have been a good idea. Just behind the grill is the distributor which sits on the front "side" of the engine - where of course rain would hit it and stop it working. The radiator was on the passenger side of the engine bay cooled by a viscous fan. It was moved to the front in (I think) 1997 when the car also got FI.