View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

A quick update: I added a bit more duct tape to seal the hood joint with the top of the headlights. This tank is looking very good: ~370 miles with ~1/4 tank left = ~490 miles on the tank (!!!) = ~49mpg! Woohooo! That is simply amazing...these front end aero mods have added ~65-70 miles per tank, and they will have added ~5mpg to my pre-mod best!

[Edit: This is on my regular commute, so it is a round trip -- all the downhills are uphills in the other direction; and traffic is hardly ideal. There is no way I could do any pulse + glide...]

My lifetime average is 37+mpg -- and this tank looks like it will be 10-12mpg better than that. I'm still flabbergasted...

My working theory is that covering the fog lights has smoothed the air flow coming off the sides of the chin spoiler; possibly helping air to flow out an around the front wheels?

I want to make a pan for the rear undercarriage behind the axle -- ideally, this could be structural, and the new space would add a fair amount of volume to this car's Achilles Heel -- storage space. Both the rear bumper fascia and part of the metal frame hang down an form sharp edges across the air flow.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 06-11-2008 at 09:03 PM..