View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Eco Lesson Take II

Buddy at work has a 98 Subaru Legacy 2.2 L automatic. We have had some interesting conversations on fuel saving and he seemed interested in learning. I told him he could use my SG for a couple of weeks to see how he would do with it.

Today we hooked it up and went for a test run with him driving normal on a 7 mile test loop and then with him driving and me talking him through techniques the next time around. 2 stop signs and 4 lights on the course with speeds from 30- 55 so I would consider it mixed driving. He was not going to EOC, shutdown at lights or run with out the AC (99 today). We spent a lot of time talking about acceleration rates, shift point, posted speed limit and RPM, coasting, terrain and traffic flow before we did the second loop.

He was pretty sharp and it will be interesting to see how he does in the next couple of weeks. At one point as we were approaching a traffic light around a blind conner I asked him " why do you think there are no cars in the opposite traffic lanes" with out hesitation he said "because the light is red" and then started coasting the mile or so to the red light.

I thing once the SG game get into his head he will be shutting down at lights and at least turning off the AC during acceleration as we talked about because he was amazed that the MPG jumped 4 when we turned it off a couple of time to see what affect it had.

So hopefully another convert.

Normal driving 22.9 mpg
Eco driving 31.3 mpg