View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
2-strokes can actually be a decent option while looking for a good fuel-efficiency while fitted with some upgrades such as direct injection. What surprises me is how they're currently neglected by mainstream motorcycle manufacturers such as Honda and even Yamaha...

workaround ideas to discuss among friends: Two-stroke engines: still a viable technology?
I tried to find out just how much better the fuel efficiency is when direct injected...not that much data out there since mainstream manufacturers don't make direct injected 2 strokes.

I managed to find fuel economy numbers for I think ski doo ? snowmobiles. They had a direct injected 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. The 2 stroke was much lighter, but got worse (I think like 30% worse) fuel economy than the 4 stroke with equivalent power despite the direct injection.

I think the problem is that in a 2 stroke with fuel injection, the fuel has less than 180 crankshaft degrees to mix with the air, so the combustion efficiency is still pretty bad, just not quite as bad as in a carbureted 2 stroke.