View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
well said johnpr.

My initial motivation for doing this whole hypermiling thing was to save some money. Now, as a 80% bicycle commuter I appreciate that health benefits as well. I'm saving a ton of fuel by riding my bike and since I started doing it, I haven't lost any weight, but I have to force myself to wake up and go to bed early, which is something I've been meaning to do for a long time but have had no reason to do until recently. It seems to also give me more energy, as much as I hate dragging my ass onto the bike every morning at 7 AM after being used to sleeping till noon, I have found that after a few minutes my body is awake and then once I get to work and col down a bit, I have much more energy to sustain the rest of the day. I also know the weight thing will come. Right now I'm at the heaviest I've been in over 6 years and back when I first started riding midway through highschool, I dropped almost 50 pounds by riding just 20 miles a day for one summer...just 3 months. So, I expect the weight to start coming off again and on days like today, not driving earned me money as I found $5 in a parking lot while waiting for a break in traffic to cross the busy road.