View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
A lot of factors influence the results of a parallel-hybrid setup. I've already seen some gensets fitted with 2-stroke gasser engines which could fit easily in tight spaces. Also, for an increased efficiency hub-motors can be considered since there are no parasitic losses from a transmission.
Ewww....2-stroke? Are you allowed to say that on this forum?

The hub motor may be the answer. It frees up a LOT of space. But there are no hub motors (at least in the DIY market) large enough.

Kelly has one, but it is only 7kW.
http://kellycontroller.com/car-hub-m...7kw-p-711.html
Even four of those (28kW) wouldn't be enough.

EnerTrac makes one for a motorcycle with a continuous rating of 10kW/30kW peak, but unfortunately it is meant for a motorcycle so it is spoked with a motorcycle rim.
Electric Motorsport EV Parts
It could possible be retrofitted for automotive use, but that's beyond my capabilities.

Unless someone knows of a readily available hub motor, that idea is moot.

Another problem is a charger. The largest Manzinita charger (PFC-75) is only good for around 10-12kW. And that thing is over $4K. Maybe if one could source a large DC generator and come up with the ability to throttle it to maintain a safe battery voltage we would be away to the races. But that is WAY beyond my abilities. Actually, I think the guy who wrote "The Zero-Carbon Car" and made a diesel/electric/hybrid thing out of Miata used a DC generator in that exact way.

If only I was smarter....