View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobombat View Post
And frankly, I will embrace a national decrease in highway speed limits. 65 in my book is too fast and 75-80 in some places is way to fast, not to mention that most people go 5-20 over the speed limit anyway. Let them lower the speed limit and let them start giving out speeding tickets in earnest for going over.
Perhaps you have not traveled the vast expanses of land that exist between the US coasts. The freeways are long and boring, and at 55mph would take ages to travel. I too used to think 80 was an excessive limit, until I had to travel such distances. That limit now seems reasonable to me, but I do agree that limits should be strictly enforced. Otherwise, a speed limit is really just a speed suggestion with no clear boundaries.

People wishing to get better fuel economy can choose to drive slower. In Oregon and Washington, 2 speed limits are given. A faster one for passenger vehicles, and a slower one for commercial trucks. Anyone that wishes to drive slower can drive at the reduced truck limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wungun View Post
Oil is afterall, a non renewable resource.
No such thing as a renewable energy source. Even nuclear fission is a consuming process. I do realize one can be sustained longer than the other though, and I get your point.

Quote:
There will always be people who drive much faster than the posted limit, in their Escalades and Hummers...
Those that drive Hummers and Escalades pay for the privilege. Not only do they pay more for the vehicle, and more for the insurance, and more for the cost of fuel, but also taxes. They are essentially paying a greater portion of the infrastructure cost by consuming more fuel and paying more tax than the average person.

Efficient transportation has enough of a monetary incentive built in that mandating it is unnecessary. People that make poor decisions should not be insulated against the consequences of those decisions, or forced into making better decisions.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!