View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The average person doesn't appear to put much consideration into locating themselves near the stuff they do a lot; another facet of being over-insulated from the effects of their choices.
Even if people weren't over-insulated from the effects of their choices, they are still often irrational.

I work in Vancouver WA, and a coworker has made the choice to live in Portland OR. The cost for him to commute to work is greater, the cost of rent is greater and on top of all that he pays an 8% Oregon income tax for the privilege of living in Oregon. Even though he knows it costs hundreds more per month to live in Portland, he is willing to do so just to live in hipster city. He chooses this option even though he could live just 10min away from downtown Portland while claiming a WA residency and being closer to work.

After having this discussion with him, he still says it's worth the high price just knowing he doesn't live in "sucktown" Vancouver.

While I believe he is clearly insane, I would not regulate or otherwise compel him to my way of thinking. If he likes high prices and granola women so much, then let him be happy.

If I like driving 70mph and it's reasonably safe, then let me be happy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (11-14-2012), UltArc (11-13-2012)