View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
OK, I went out and played on the hill again (burning a bunch of gas to get better gas mileage - LOL), and I think I've got a problem: My car's an AUTOMATIC transmission, right? So when I went out and tried to do the 70 to 80% throttle position (as well as LOD on the ScanGauge), the thing shifted down almost immediately, and then proceeded to accelerate like all get-out.
This is just 1 of the many reasons a manual is superior to an automatic. The only time an automatic has the advantage is when eating a breakfast burrito while shaving in stop and go traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
OK, then I guess my previous strategy is probably the best then; approach the hill at "best mpg speed", then when it downshifts, adjust RPM to best BSFC speed & hold until it can handle top gear again.

I wonder if it would be of any use to fool around doing "A-B-A" testing to see where my best MPG speed is in THIRD gear, then use that when climbing a hill too steep for 4th (OD)? Maybe do those test both on the flat AND on the hill???
Being unfamiliar with your driving conditions, I will suggest that it may be more efficient to speed up before you get to the hill so that you can carry enough momentum to remain in top gear during the climb. Learn exactly how far you can press the accelerator pedal before it downshifts, and then always try to remain in top gear.

ABA testing is always a good idea. You can even test the method of speeding up before the hill to see if it is more efficient.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (11-14-2012), wmjinman (11-14-2012)