View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
Thanks Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahPete View Post
I agree w/ Metro. If your tapping the holes where you say you are, it shouldn't throw off the balance. You should be able to find a cheap tap set easy.

Make sure you use screws that are aluminum. Steel and alluminum react and corrode over time. Also make sure your wheels are alluminum and not some different metal and find the reactive characteristics of the different metal on metal contacts.
I did find Aluminum screws online, but not locknuts. I read some online instructions for tapping into aluminum, a lot of talk about taking your time, using the proper lubricant, backing it out after every couple of turns etc. to prevent galling.

My thought process went a little like this: Seems like a blind hole into the wheel would not give too many threads for tapping. And since it was going to be a thru hole, why was I stressing about making nice taps into aluminum when a thru bolt with locknut might do?

They are Stainless Steel bolts, and while I concede that they are rated as a 'marginal' risk to increase galvanic corrosion, it is nothing more than standard steel. Only brass, copper etc. have a more than marginal risk to make a galvanic battery when in contact with aluminum.

EDIT: Looks like galvanized steel is better with Aluminum than Stainless is? Not sure they make such small screws in galvanized, but I will have to check?

I will look once again for aluminum (or galvanized) screws just to make sure I did not miss anything locally available, but still use the SS locknut. I keep my receipts for that reason...

2nd edit: Not finding much choice in Aluminum or Galvanized small machine screws locally, or even grainger. Galvanized is mostly larger bolts for outdoor projects etc.

Gonna stick with Stainless. Should be fine? 6 of 1, half dozen of the other?

18-8 Stainless steel, 304, 316 Stainless Steel Corrosion

Not so nice stock rims...
And while I admit drilling wheels is not what I first considered, my wheels do not look nearly as pretty as the ones in the pictures, those are just internet found photos of wheels of the same design.

Last edited by WesternStarSCR; 11-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: More research into galvanic corrosion