View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
nbleak21
Adventurist!

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Being in SE MI, you'll definitely run into corrosion w/ steel to aluminum from all of the road salt... Good news is that generally when mixed they fasten to each other through the corrosion process, so just consider it a secondary locktite!

I didn't catch what option you've decided to go with (if you've decided at all!) but here is some food for thought, the best way I see doing it for a permanent mod (since it will be with that combo of alloys anyways)

-drill and tap the holes (no sweat on tapping aluminum, looks like you've already researched the correct way of doing it)

-Run bolts along with the star type lock washers through the back side and use either locktite or epoxy on the back half of the threads to permanently mount the screws.

-use small rubber bushings between pizza pan and rim to aid in removal when necessary (mounting them flush will lead to higher risk of corrosion binding)

-use compression nuts (and flat lock washers [optional]) but DO NOT use nylocks! The heat generated from braking can cause the nylon to melt!

How much did you pay for those covers shipping incl. if you don't mind my asking?
The Following User Says Thank You to nbleak21 For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (11-15-2012)