View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
I am going to check this out...

I am in the research / acquiring material / willing to listen to other ideas stage, since I won't be doing much until a week or so. No holes drilled yet.

I paid about $10.00 each on the pans, from Grainger. There is a local branch that lets me use my account from the company I work at. I just have to pay tax and use pick up instead of shipping to my office.

So essentially, you are suggesting use both the tapping concept that others are suggesting, and the 'through bolt from the rear' process, to have studs that stick out? Using the loctite, / epoxy, as opposed to a front side lock nut?

Brilliant!!!!

I just checked, and I guess it is not too bad price (few bucks) for an 8-32 tap. I was drawn to that size since that fits in the groove on each spoke.

For the pan, I have rubber grommets that those bolts fit through. I was going to use nylon retaining washers and SS fender washers, so there should be no metal from the pans touching the wheel itself. Rubber grommet will be sandwiched between those.

And as far as the nuts are concerned, you are suggesting to go with split ring washers and compression nuts instead of nylok nuts? The concern being heat on nylon.

OK, I will check into that... Have to see what you mean by compression nuts. Not sure I can think of what those look like.

But either way, running in a screw through a tapped hole from the back is on the table. If I mess it up, I still have the drill bit for a through hole

I will have to research and purchase the correct drill bit size.