View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
OK, critical (to me) question

Just trying to get objective advice... and I want to be critical of my own idea as well..

Just because I can tap the holes, and go in from the back, to avoid the use of a locknut on the front, I am wondering what makes it better than the locknut option, with a thru hole?

This is assuming the locknut on the front will be flush to the front surface and not make the pizza pan stick out. The groove, once I file it a bit, will be squared up, and the locknut will fit snugly into it.

So I know it seems you guys are fans of tapping, and I could tap it, I am sure it could be just fine.

But, is there a concern I should have that makes tapping better than locknut option, from first and foremeost a safety standpoint?

It will require me to acquire a different drill bit, a tap, and a tapping handle, and soem sort of lubricant (I read olive oil works well tho). And of course, time to tap 20 holes.

Versus... drill, file, put in screws, done?

This is a learning process for me...

Thanks for feedback. I am OCD, so any idea I get sometime throws me off to another idea and I never finish a projects. My achilles heel...