View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
a8ksh4
B.O. Zen

Pickup - '99 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, Regular Cab, Short Bed
90 day: 34.62 mpg (US)
Talking effect of lsd on mpg

I've been wondering for quite a while what effect installing an LSD would have on my mpg. The last time I was out in Tahoe skiing w/ my friend who lives there, I couldn't hardly get out of his driveway w/ my 2wd truck, even with chains on. An LSD diff would have helped there.

I'm eyeballing the Detroit trutrack LSD. It uses worm gears in some sort it f fancy arrangement to provide continuously variable power to whichever wheels have traction.

Does anyone here have any insight into what kind effect this hardware would have on mpg in either foul weather or fair?

It's possible that an alternate gear arrangement could increase mechanical losses in the diff (or the inverse), but it's also possible that reduced wheel slip in less than perfect conditions could have a positive affect, not to mention being all kinds of fun to drive in the corners (I'm sure there are unusual circumstances in which one's ability to effectively utilize power transfer through the wheels to alter a line in a corner could have a positive effect on mpg ;-P. )