View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #267 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
1000W with 12V wiring? it's over 80 amps of current!
That's 80A for three, so ~27A per heating element, which isn't bad. Nice fat wires, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Watch out your battery, especialy when it's new If you turn it on during P&G what is your usual way of driving it will drain your battery in a matter of minutes!
No worry: My ventilation system turns off when the engine is killed, so the heaters will also have to be off or they will overheat and melt, long before the battery is drained. So the heaters will be on only when the alternator is spinning. Also, I don't plan on using all three at same time (I'll probably wire it so only 1 or 2 of the 3 can be turned on), or for longer than the first 5 maybe 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meelis11 View Post
Piwoslaw - where are those electric heaters? Is it similar like VW/Audi 1.9TDi has 3 coolant heater plugs and they are heating coolant - one coolant heater plug draws 14Amps (14.5V*14Amps*3 is about 600W)
The heating element is located in the ventilation fan housing in the dashboard. It heats the air coming off the fan.
Coolant heaters may have been used in older Peugeot models. Their advantage is that any heat that isn't used in the cabin speeds up engine warmup. I once thought about getting a set, but then I found out that I already have ventilation heaters.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread