View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
Running drunk and nekid might offend someone's sensibilities. Doing it in the streets impedes others from using the area designated for them. Which is why it is not legal in most areas. The issue with this strawman is not that he is drunk and naked, it is that the scarecrow is running through the streets. The real question is how is someone driving responsibly (even if they had no licence) interfering with anyone else's access to the area?
Conceal and Carry gun laws offend my sensibilities. "Reality" TV shows offend my sensibilities. Cable already shows pretty raunchy stuff. Where do we draw the line?

When I'm running through the street drunk and naked, perhaps the cars are in my way. After all, pedestrians have the right of way. It's a public street that I help pay for; I should be able to use it however I choose. (Not really, but you see where I'm going?)

Someone driving without a license is a danger to me because I know if they lose control and hit me (more likely if they have no drivers training) that I may not get the care I need to get better. I may not have the money to fix my car or buy a new one. That's why we have insurance- so if you f**k someone's property up you are able to fix it and they can go on their merry way. Letting people drive without insurance is automotive roulette.

Quote:
We have a right to vote we don't let 5 year olds do it, we have a right to own firearms, we don't let 5 year olds do it.
You need a permit to buy and carry a gun. You need to take safety courses to get them, iirc. I personally think the legality of pistols is ludicrous because they are specifically designed to shoot humans at close range. Not that rifles can't... but have you ever heard of a deer hunting pistol?

Minors are not allowed to vote because they are not mature and may not be able to process information and form thoughts and opinions as readily and effectively as adults. Would you trust your 5 year old niece to pick out your new car? Would you trust her to elect our next president?

Would you trust your 5 year old niece to drive you to the grocery store without insurance?

Quote:
Please explain to me how driving without insurance is dangerous, does it make the car somehow harder to steer? Would having insurance bring back the child carelessly backed over? Is it some magic that protects my car from a suicidal deer? Does it run in front of me and douse slippery spots with sand? You pays your money and you takes your chances. If you want to financially protect your property, it really should be up to you to decide if you want to share risk (which is what insurance really is).
Driving without insurance is dangerous to others. I'm willing to bet 95% of people driving without insurance do so not because they have the means, but because they can't afford (or are too cheap) to buy it.