View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CHAOS
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
how long does it take for your car to get to regular engine temp? you said forever and just an example, my car with about 95% grill block, 0 celcius (32f) takes about 2 miles in city driving so about 5 minutes without preheating the engine or even parking it in a garage. Still my mileage has dropped quite a bit too
To get to full operating temp it takes about 7-8miles of county road driving (55mph), or about 10 minutes with virtually no warmup idling before takeoff (just long enough for me to get the windows cleared off). I already replaced the thermostat, and that did help a little (the old one wouldn't close fully). I've also blocked about 85% of the opening to the radiator, which helped a little more. It still seems to take quite a while though. I'd like to cut that number down to 5 miles or less.

That being said, I managed 38.7mph on this last tank. The temps have been in the 20's in the morning but afternoon highs have been warmer with no wind. Still, it took a lot of work to get that number.