View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #63 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Busy week,just now catching up.
I've been waiting impatiently for your input.

Quote:
*From the car-blueprints image it looks like the rear fenders are a lot wider than necessary for containing the wheels.
*If you ran the original 155/15 tires (or even narrower,as with Daihatsu's Cd 0.16 UFE-III' 145s) the sheetmetal could be pushed in and flattened,allowing easier boat-tailing and integration into the tail.Like a 1/2 blister canopy over the rear wheels.
The next iteration will have the fender aeroforms be half-bodies split vertically, moving the 'stagnation point' of up to around the axle centerline. With geodesic domes, hemispheres are in the minority; most are 3/8 or 5/8 truncation (due to the icosahedral symmetry). The air flow above and below the equator balance each other, but a 5/8ths sphere has less lift than a 3/8ths.

There's a lot of compound curve. I'm thinking about a fabric/fiberglass rod construction, like the BMW Gina.
The bottom rod being longer than the middle ones could fold or rotate up for wheel/tire access. This would be new territory for me fabrication-wise.

Quote:
*The rear backlight could be handled like a box-cavity for the upper tail structure,allowing a 'tunnel' through which to look.I did this on the CRX.You get good optics,the glass is protected from the weather,and area below its 'floor' can be used for ducting cooling air into the original inlet.
That's plan B. Sail panels like an El Camino or mid-engined supercar.

Quote:
*By keeping the tail with the original body width your side mirrors allow you to look around the back corners to the rear to compensate for blind-spots.
*If you move the fender portion of the tail forward towards the B-pillars and widen them, you could end up with a horrific vision challenge when backing unless the side mirrors are pushed way out.
Even with the Tropfenwagen conning tower shape, sight-lines are preserved. The outside mirror looks above the fender line.

Quote:
Any way you go you'll have some extremely sophisticated coach work ahead of you.You'll also have something which might end up in a museum of modern art.All your renderings are quite attractive!
Thanks. *blush* My graphic skills are limited. The blue car is a commercial model. the white aeroforms I made myself; but combining the two into a single object is beyond me at the moment.

The upper tail is within my woodworking experience. It will be a redwood bender board truss, 2 or 3 1/4" laminations thick skinned with aluminum. The compound curve lower part might be redwood, too. I'll have to do some experiments. Think of a redwood strip canoe.