View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Glinzo
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from Germany!

I recently bought a Golf Mk3 with a bivalent Gasoline/LPG conversion. LPG is about 0.77€ per Liter while gas went over 1.60 € per Liter permanently. So this will save a lot.

I am planning to do some mods to the Golf so it gets more economical. At the first few drives i reached a 31.7 MPG on LPG under normal driving. With hypermiling techniques i reached already 40.1 MPG on the Autobahn On gasoline this would be around 48.2 MPG (20% more fuel consumption on LPG)

The Mk3 is full stock but soon will get lowered down 2.5". The 185/60/14 Allweather tires will be replaced by 175/65/14 Michelin Energy Savers. For the aerodynamics i've got an original rear wing (not elevated), the deeper VR6/GTI front lip and a diesel engine underfloor cover. I already lowered the wipers under the shape of the bonnet. Also the upper grill will be blocked and the lower grill will be blocked in parts. For the alternator i've got a bigger wheel with a 75mm diameter instead of the original 50mm wheel. I'll try to fully cover the whole floor and to install tire spats from an Audi A2.

Motor is a 1.6 liter 75hp with the longest standard 5MT. It can do 60mph at only 2450rpm with the 175/65/14 tires, which is pretty low.

I'm looking forward to report my efforts to you.

Tschüss